The Right Choices for a Facility to Be Newly Designed
08 May 20144 min reading
“We do not recommend leaving space in order for future capacity increases by adding machines in a new building design. Capacity increase by adding machineries to the current system means production break and this situation may create damages difficult to compensate in this competitive environment.”
Today, we want to make a general evaluation on the subjects that should be taken into consideration in a flour mill to be newly designed such as general layout, building design, equipment selection and finished product silo systems.
Each topic can also be detailed in itself but we will just examine the essentials of the subject by discussing the detailing at a later time.
• The overall layout on the land is very important and the mistakes made at this point often become permanent. The selection of milling capacity and thus the wheat stock silos and their selection, which has gained importance significantly today, after the overall design of the building and the integration of these silos with the business building should be made. It is possible now to receive grain and pre-clean with the high capacity thanks to the new generation pre-cleaning purifier. 200 tons and above do not constitute problem in terms of hour and capacity.
• However, wheat transport is made with standard trucks in Turkey. Maneuver and also lift requirement of the truck takes much time. Therefore, the selecting the right product receiving capacity not in large sizes is important.
• It should be taken into consideration that in the general settlement on land; the entire truck traffic should be well organized, the possible future capacity increases should be calculated and this capacity increase should be made possible and to be realized easily. We do not recommend leaving space in order for future capacity increases by adding machines in a new building design. Capacity increase by adding machineries to the current system means production break and this situation may create damages difficult to compensate in this competitive environment. Instead of that, empty spaces should be reserved for a second and sometimes a third unit depending on the total space while planning the general settlement on the land. For this; while designing the building, it should be taken into consideration that the construction activities should not prevent the deliveries during the new building construction.
• After that comes the main building design. In the building design, 6-storey units are considered more as high capacities are preferred today. However; as the top floor is very intense due to the filters, fans, etc., 7th floor can be considered for the machines like that type occupying much space and as the source of noise. Moreover, as these kind of high capacity installations require tampering bin capacity often, the cleaning section is already at the 7th floor.
The tempering period is related with the wheat humidity, hardness rate and also the desired flour humidity. But 2-step tempering system is used throughout Turkey and the tempering period is between 24 – 48 hours in total. Proper discharge of the tempering silos (not the middle is first and then the side walls) is significantly important. Otherwise the tempering period of the wheat would be different in the same silo.
• The flour silo systems should be decided after the need of the facility is discussed in details as the flour silo systems can be very different depending on the need.
In the harsh competitive environment of today, being advantageous requires sufficiently flexible systems frequently. Although flour (this shouldn’t be perceived as a quality parameter, large shipments of flour amount with the same quality is meant here) constitutes large proportion of our production, customer demands should be answered quickly.
For instance; the flour silo system of a facility that makes flour production and delivery in small proportions and different amounts with different quality should not be the same with the facility that produces flour in high amounts with the constant quality. The facility that has to make flour production and delivery in small proportions with different quality may struggle reach the desired quality via wheat blending. Thus, a mixer should be integrated to the flour silo system.
Packing and loading units should be installed with high capacity packaging machines and direct loading to the truck from the silo should be preferred instead of the stack of full sacks. This means both low cost and easier operating. Thus, also the quality differences arising from the production can be compensated both with the blended flour and additives.
Articles in Cover Story Category
04 September 20237 min reading
Exploring Brazil’s thriving grain industry: A deep dive into production and logistics
08 December 20201 min reading
Grain cleaning and tempering